What is CLCC?
CLCC – Carbon Literacy Cartrefi Cymru, is a consortium of Welsh registered social landlords (RSLs). Consortium members pooled money and resources in order to increase Carbon Literacy within their organisations.
Carbon Literacy is defined as a day’s worth of learning around the causes and consequences of climate change, action you can take on climate change and empowerment to make individual and group actions personally and professionally.
The Carbon Literacy Project has defined the standard of Carbon Literacy and accredits courses and learners.
27 different RSLs from around Wales are a part of the consortium – demonstrating the motivation from the sector to collaborate to create change. The programme will increase the number of Carbon Literacy trainers in Wales from 1 to over 60.
In October 2019 representatives from 16 different RSLs around Wales came together to learn more about The Carbon Literacy Project and hear a proposal to create a Carbon Literacy consortium of RSLs in Wales.
The delegates of this meeting edited the proposal which went back out to all RSLs in Wales. In January 2020 a meeting surrounding this proposal led to the creation of a Carbon Literacy consortium of 27 Welsh RSLs. The consortium was named Carbon Literacy Cartrefi Cymru (CLCC).
- February 2020 – Phase I; rounds of Carbon Literacy training for member organisations delivered by Cynnal Cymru.
- March 2020 – Lockdown. Training continues remotely with a new online course and the whole CLCC programme is moved online. 65 member organisation employees receive training and became Carbon Literate.
- May 2020 – Phase II; 5 training experts from within the consortium work with Cynnal Cymru and Manchester Metropolitan to develop 5 Carbon Literacy courses for Welsh social housing. One course for board/SLT, one for customer facing staff, one for back office staff, one for technical and assets staff involved with retrofit and one for maintenance staff and subcontractors.
- October 2020 – Phase III; Each member organisation will have at least 2 members of staff trained as Carbon Literacy trainers by Manchester Metropolitan. They will be trained to deliver the courses developed in Phase II.
- The future – Phase IIII; Member organisations can use their trainers to deliver Carbon Literacy training internally to all staff and embed Carbon Literacy into their induction process.
Journey of Carbon Literacy
- Deliver Carbon Literacy course
- Trainer facilitates achievable but ambitious actions
- Learner evidence forms are sent to The Carbon Literacy Project
- The Carbon Literacy Project assesses whether a learner is Carbon Literate based on their evidence form
- Carbon Literacy Champions within CLCC organisations should follow up on actions
- Organisational behaviour change on climate change is accelerated
If you would like to know more or get in contact, please email email@example.com who runs the CLCC secretariat.